As we approach the end of the year, the excitement and frustration of seeing our teams either moving toward Superbowl glory or get knocked out for the season bring up lots of feelings. What can fans do to make their game day experience the best it can be, while still having fun? Here are a handful of holiday tips for improving your fan behavior.
1. Really monitor how much you drink. Drinking impairs one's ability to make good judgments and decisions. Drink responsibly or don't drink at all.
2. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the game, park and find your seat. Sometimes the stress of getting to the game can make the experience unpleasant or make one behave badly towards others.
3. Remember, everyone attending the game is there to have fun. Not everyone is going to like the same team or players you do. As the saying goes, "live and let live". Others have a right to like whomever they wish, and so do you.
4. Think about your behaviors. Ask yourself, is what I am doing going to negatively or positively impact those around me. Kindness goes a long way. If your respectful to those around you, they might in turn be respectful to you.
5. Remember, attending games is about having fun. Don't lose your perspective!
Ari Novick, Ph.D.